[chirp_users] confirm 7742568011fbca21b483239483f2960577634da1

Jim Unroe
Sun May 30 14:17:29 PDT 2021

On Sun, May 30, 2021 at 3:06 PM Steve Horning <n0xvz.1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> First, I'm not sure if I've missed something in my research, so I
> apologize if I'm asking an obvious question.
>
> I recently purchased a Baofeng GT-5R and tried to program it with
> Chirp.  What I've noticed is that whether I import repeater settings or
> input them manually, Chirp is not saving the offsets. Instead, it's
> listing all of them as "off".  I have used Chirp to program a UV-5R
> without any problems.  I can enter repeater information manually, but if
> I download the data from the radio, the offsets also reset to "off".
>
> Thanks for your suggestions.
>
> 73,
> Steve, N0XVZ

Hi Steve,

You have just missed something. The Baofeng UV-5R like and UV-82 like
radios don't use, and therefore don't store, a shift direction or
offset in their memory channels. What these radios do store is the RX
frequency and the TX frequency since this is what is needed to access
a repeater (the radio transmits on the frequency that the repeater
listens on and listens on the frequency that the repeater transmits
on).

CHIRP lets the user enter the RX and TX frequencies as an RX
frequency, shift direction and offset, but then CHIRP does the math in
the background to determine the TX frequency. It is the RX frequency
and TX frequency that CHIRP stores in the CHIRP Radio Images (*.img)
file to be sent to the radio in that format because that is what the
radio requires.

Since none of the radio's 128 memories (0-127) store a shift direction
or offset, menu 25 (SFT-D) and menu 26 (OFFSET) have no purpose and do
not function in MR (channel) mode. These menus only have a purpose and
only function in VFO (frequency) mode. This is why they always show
"OFF" and "000.000" respectively when the radio is on MR mode. See my
detailed menu reference for the UV-5R linked to on this miklor.com
page: https://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_MenuDef.php

Since there is no shift direction or offset stored in the memory
channels of these show a "+-" symbol in the upper status display area
when the RX frequency and TX frequency are not the same. This would be
the case for any memory programmed as a repeater, odd-split,
cross-band or TX disabled channel. The upper status display area only
shows an individual "+" or "-" symbol when the radio is in VFO mode
based on the current setting of menu 25 (SFT-D).

You can verify that the memory has the correct transmit frequency by
selecting the desired memory in a display line that has its Memory
Display Format (menu 21 (MDF-A) or menu 22 (MDF-B) set to FREQ (I
usually keep one display line set to NAME and the other set to FREQ).
Then you can either tap the [PTT] button momentarily to see the TX
frequency. An alternative way to display the TX frequency without
causing the radio to transmit would be to tap the [*] key to put the
radio into "reverse" mode (an "R" symbol is shown in the upper status
display area to indicate that the radio is in "reverse" mode). Tap the
[*] key again to exit "reverse" mode and display the RX frequency.