[chirp_users] Installing chirp on Fedora 33

Nigel A. Gunn G8IFF/W8IFF
Fri Mar 19 04:30:19 PDT 2021

Install the flatpack version of Chirp. It comes with the required Python version.

>     OnInstall the flatpack version. It comes with the required Python 2.7. 19/03/2021 00:36 Eric Oyen via chirp_users <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com> wrote:
>

>     Hmmmm,
>
>     Sounds like it’s time to upgrade python on the developer end. Hardly anyone uses Python2 these days. I just installed SLINT (Slackware for the blind) on my laptop and python2 was not included in any of the build libraries. So, I am going to have to find python2 and install it as a secondary just to get chirp working. Otherwise, I have no way to program any of my radios (no accessibility on the other two platforms). If this isn’t the worlds biggest hint that things need to be updated, then I don’t know what is (other than a 6 mile wide rock plummeting in from space and destroying the planet).
>
>     DE n7zzt Eric
>

>         > >         On Mar 18, 2021, at 3:29 PM, Ken Harris <kjh at hokulea.org mailto:kjh at hokulea.org > wrote:
> >         Yeah, saw that, but I'm a flatpak noob and got an error message :
> >

> >             > > > # flatpak install chirp-daily-20210310.flatpak
> > >             error: The application com.danplanet.chirp/x86_64/master requires the runtime org.freedesktop.Platform/x86_64/19.08 which was not found
> > >
> > >         > >
> >         ... so I got python2 / pip2 to work and thought I'd document it.
> >
> >         On a related topic, is there a python3 port of chirp ...?
> >
> >         Thanks,
> >         Ken
> >

> >         On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 4:22 AM Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com mailto:hobbes1069 at gmail.com > wrote:
> >
> >             > > >             On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 10:46 PM Ken Harris <kjh at hokulea.org mailto:kjh at hokulea.org > wrote:
> > >
> > >                 > > > >

> > >             I was the maintainer. Now I just use the flatpak. Easier than installing EOL Python on your system and effectively runs in a container.
> > >
> > >             https://trac.chirp.danplanet.com/chirp_daily/LATEST/
> > >
> > >             Thanks,
> > >             Richard
> > >             KF5OIM
> >         chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com mailto:chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
> >         This message was sent to Eric Oyen at eric.oyen at icloud.com mailto:eric.oyen at icloud.com
> >
> >     >
>     _______________________________________________ chirp_users mailing list chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com http://intrepid.danplanet.com/mailman/listinfo/chirp_users This message was sent to Nigel Gunn, W8IFF at nigel at ngunn.net To unsubscribe, send an email to chirp_users-unsubscribe at intrepid.danplanet.com

Nigel A. Gunn, ///shoulders.outwards.resolutions   tel +1-937-971-0366
Amateur Radio G8IFF W8IFF and GMRS WRBV701, e-mail nigel at ngunn.net www http://www.ngunn.net