[chirp_users] Moving Chirp Daily to python3?

Joe Pizzi
Sun Jun 6 14:19:17 PDT 2021

The "move" includes two changes, from what I understand, because Python3
no longer has the PyGTK interface? So, you cannot move from Python2 to
Python3 and keep the existing GUI.

I guess we could change the GUI from PyGTK to wxPython, and then change
from Python2 to Python3, but that means even longer before it is ready.

Of the tests that get executed by the "run_tests.py" script, I have all
tests passing with the exception of Yaesu FTM-3200D R. I expect I can
get that passing before next week.

Dan,

What would be the next steps? I can see that there might be radio
updates since the branch. Should I merge the updated radio files into my
branch and make sure that works? Or, should we get the GUI up to speed?
When I ran the GUI, I noticed several features not yet there.

Joe Pizzi
KI5LST

On 6/4/2021 11:10 AM, Martin Cooper wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 2, 2021 at 8:47 PM Mark Schoonover via chirp_users
> <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
> <mailto:chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>> wrote:
>
>     Python2 has been EOL for 18 months. This also means any Python
>     modules are probably no longer being maintained. I would guess
>     moving chirp to Python3 would be quite the endeavor as well.
>

> In my opinion, a move to Python 3 would be great, but is being
> hampered by two things, at least based on what is in the 'py3' branch:
>
> * The "move" to Python 3 isn't really a move; the code is being
> updated in such a way as to preserve Python 2 compatibility.
> * At the same time as moving to Python 3, the UI technology is being
> switched from Gtk to wxPython.
>
> If it was just a straight *move* to Python 3, dropping Python 2 and
> allowing developers to take full advantage of Python 3 features, I,
> and I suspect others, would be more interested in helping out, since I
> don't honestly see much point in keeping Python 2 compatibility any
> more. As you say, it's been EOL for a while.
>
> Also, I feel that switching the UI technology should be a separate
> effort from updating the language version, unless there's some
> compelling reason that the two cannot be done sequentially. I'd say
> get to Python 3 first, and then maybe think about switching UI
> technologies.
>
> My 2 cents.
>
> Martin.
> KD6YAM