[chirp_users] Moving Chirp Daily to python3?

Martin Cooper
Fri Jun 4 09:10:36 PDT 2021

On Wed, Jun 2, 2021 at 8:47 PM Mark Schoonover via chirp_users <
chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com> wrote:

> Python2 has been EOL for 18 months. This also means any Python modules are
> probably no longer being maintained. I would guess moving chirp to Python3
> would be quite the endeavor as well.

In my opinion, a move to Python 3 would be great, but is being hampered by
two things, at least based on what is in the 'py3' branch:

* The "move" to Python 3 isn't really a move; the code is being updated in
such a way as to preserve Python 2 compatibility.
* At the same time as moving to Python 3, the UI technology is being
switched from Gtk to wxPython.

If it was just a straight *move* to Python 3, dropping Python 2 and
allowing developers to take full advantage of Python 3 features, I, and I
suspect others, would be more interested in helping out, since I don't
honestly see much point in keeping Python 2 compatibility any more. As you
say, it's been EOL for a while.

Also, I feel that switching the UI technology should be a separate effort
from updating the language version, unless there's some compelling reason
that the two cannot be done sequentially. I'd say get to Python 3 first,
and then maybe think about switching UI technologies.

My 2 cents.

Martin.
KD6YAM