[chirp_users] Moving Chirp Daily to python3?

Martin Cooper
Sun Jun 6 15:08:02 PDT 2021

> The "move" includes two changes, from what I understand, because Python3
> no longer has the PyGTK interface? So, you cannot move from Python2 to
> Python3 and keep the existing GUI.

There is pygtkcompat, which "makes it possible to focus on porting to Gtk
3.x while not changing anything else, users and developers can keep on
using the software as before". My reading on that (I have not used it)
suggests that keeping the existing GUI is entirely possible. Then, once
Chirp is on Python 3, any move to wxWidgets can be addressed on its own
merits, rather than being embedded as part of a Python 3 port.

Of the tests that get executed by the "run_tests.py" script, I have all
> tests passing with the exception of Yaesu FTM-3200D R. I expect I can get
> that passing before next week.

Have you been able to test against any live-mode radios? They don't have
tests included in the run_tests.py suite. Testing against at least one or
two (for example, at least one Icom and one Kenwood) would seem pretty
important as a part of validating the move.

Don't get me wrong - if you're willing to take on the task of getting the
Python 3 move up and running, which you clearly are, more power to you, and
kudos for taking it on. I'm just personally not interested in futzing
around with a Python 2+3 codebase or switching GUI technology when I see
neither as necessary.

Martin.
KD6YAM