[chirp_users] UV-S9 Issues

bob at tyroneflats.com
Sat Apr 17 11:17:07 PDT 2021

Your original text:

The CSV file only has per-channel data. In other words, it only
imports/exports data that affects the programmed channels that are available
while the radio is in MR (channel) mode.

A Baofeng UV-5R/UV-82 like radio such as your UV-S9 do not utilize the STEP
setting in their programmed memory channels. The "tstep" field in the CHIRP
CSV file has no purpose and is not used in your radio's memory channels. So
no matter what the "tstep" value would be set to in the CSV file, it would
be ignored by your radio.

The STEP menu you are looking at is only relevant when operating your radio
in VFO (frequency) mode. A CHIRP CSV file has only per-channel data. In
other words, there is nothing in a CHIRP CSV file that would affect your
radio while it is in VFO mode.

>>> it stores what I tell it to and the steps don't matter - makes perfect
sense - I should have known that!

You really haven't shed much light on what you are doing. It is clear that
you have been editing these CSV files externally to CHIRP making them
unrecognizable to CHIRP. I don't recall you mentioning which Vendor/Model
you are choosing when downloading from your radio of even if you have
downloaded from your radio. In fact, it seems that you are trying to program
your radio in reverse. You seem to be trying to create a CSV file and are
trying to upload that into your radio. CHIRP doesn't work that way. What you
must do first is download from your radio first to create a tab that is
compatible with your radio. It is this tab, after you've saved it to a
native CHIRP Radio Images (*.img) file, that you will edit to program your
radio. It is also the tab that you would export to a CSV file or import a
CSV file into. CSV files by themselves are not directly importable into your
radio.

>>> We're getting lost in translation - your directions from yesterday
worked perfectly and the radio is now programmed.

To program your radio with support for 3 bands, you must choose a model that
has support for 3 bands (Radioddity UV-5X3, for example) to do the initial
download from your radio. If you choose a model that only supports 2 bands
(UV-5R, BF-F8HP, etc), then CHIRP will only support 2 bands. If you've
overwritten the band limits of your radio (which is why I tried, so far
unsuccessfully, to get you to attach a CHIRP image file from your radio so I
can "see" what kind of shape you have gotten it into), then this can affect
what frequencies your radio will function with.

>>> I've tried attaching the img file twice now. First time renamed to .bob
and the 2nd time zipped. Not sure how / why they are showing up as CSVs. I
just tried a third time and the message bounced. Not sure what's going on
there. I'll try again with a fresh message and only send the file. BTW,
CHIRP automatically named the img file "Radioddity UV-5X3_<date>"  - that
would suggest I chose the correct radio profile, right? I have 1.25M
repeaters entered into memory slots in the radio but the PTT does nothing on
those freqs.

>>> New issue now that the channels are stored in memory - I see the green
light when receiving but nothing come out of the speaker unless I press and
hold the monitor button. I've tried setting the squelch at 0, 3 & 9 with no
change.

Bob n0zfv

https://www.avg.com