[chirp_users] UV-S9 Issues

Jim Unroe
Sat Apr 17 09:47:00 PDT 2021

Bob,

On Sat, Apr 17, 2021 at 11:08 AM <bob at tyroneflats.com> wrote:

> Progress! Now that it's working it seems so simple!
>
> The load error I got previously was caused by blank lines in the csv.
>
> Curious... there's a column in the csv called tstep which does not show up
> in the image. I changed the value from the default 5 to 2.5 thinking that
> was the tuning graduation but the value in the radio remains at 5. No big
> thing but curious.
>
> Also, I was able to load 1.25M freqs in the radio using CHIRP but the radio
> will not transmit on any or those memories. This is supposed to be a
> tri-band but I can't figure out how to turn that band on.
>
> Thank you very much for your detail and patience Jim!

The CSV file only has per-channel data. In other words, it only
imports/exports data that affects the programmed channels that are
available while the radio is in MR (channel) mode.

A Baofeng UV-5R/UV-82 like radio such as your UV-S9 do not utilize the
STEP setting in their programmed memory channels. The "tstep" field in
the CHIRP CSV file has no purpose and is not used in your radio's
memory channels. So no matter what the "tstep" value would be set to
in the CSV file, it would be ignored by your radio.

The STEP menu you are looking at is only relevant when operating your
radio in VFO (frequency) mode. A CHIRP CSV file has only per-channel
data. In other words, there is nothing in a CHIRP CSV file that would
affect your radio while it is in VFO mode.

You really haven't shed much light on what you are doing. It is clear
that you have been editing these CSV files externally to CHIRP making
them unrecognizable to CHIRP. I don't recall you mentioning which
Vendor/Model you are choosing when downloading from your radio of even
if you have downloaded from your radio. In fact, it seems that you are
trying to program your radio in reverse. You seem to be trying to
create a CSV file and are trying to upload that into your radio. CHIRP
doesn't work that way. What you must do first is download from your
radio first to create a tab that is compatible with your radio. It is
this tab, after you've saved it to a native CHIRP Radio Images (*.img)
file, that you will edit to program your radio. It is also the tab
that you would export to a CSV file or import a CSV file into. CSV
files by themselves are not directly importable into your radio.

To program your radio with support for 3 bands, you must choose a
model that has support for 3 bands (Radioddity UV-5X3, for example) to
do the initial download from your radio. If you choose a model that
only supports 2 bands (UV-5R, BF-F8HP, etc), then CHIRP will only
support 2 bands. If you've overwritten the band limits of your radio
(which is why I tried, so far unsuccessfully, to get you to attach a
CHIRP image file from your radio so I can "see" what kind of shape you
have gotten it into), then this can affect what frequencies your radio
will function with.