[chirp_users] Fedora COPR for Fedora 32 and EL 8

Nolan Darilek
Fri May 1 08:32:34 PDT 2020

Also, note that whatever Freedesktop SDK last shipped Python2 will
eventually be EOL. I don't know what this means. Not sure if it
eventually gets removed from Flathub along with all its dependencies.
The consequence I encountered was getting spammed on package upgrades
that I had an EOL GNOME platform installed. I removed the offending
package because I didn't use it, so am not sure how long the dependency
would have hung around.

I like Flatpak better, but for the purposes of maintaining Python2
support for as long as needed, I wonder if AppImages may be a better
bet? You'd have to build your own Python, but you can then download and
freeze all dependencies in a single binary. You may be able to do
something similar with Flatpak, but the major benefit there is that you
can get lots from the SDKs/platforms without having to vendor your own
dependencies. It may also be possible to grab and freeze dependent SDKs
into a CHIRP repository.

Speaking of, I didn't try adding CHIRP to Flathub because at the time
they only accepted released software, not daily builds. I know there's
now a beta channel, but I'm not sure if CHIRP would qualify for that.
I'm also not sure if they'd accept daily builds from a package
maintainer who only releases software that way (I.e. they may be more
inclined to accept an official CHIRP daily release build vs. something
put together by some random guy on the internet. :) I'd love to see
CHIRP on Flathub.