[chirp_users] Fedora COPR for Fedora 32 and EL 8

Richard Shaw
Fri May 1 16:07:06 PDT 2020

On Fri, May 1, 2020 at 10:33 AM Nolan Darilek <nolan at thewordnerd.info>
wrote:

> Also, note that whatever Freedesktop SDK last shipped Python2 will
> eventually be EOL. I don't know what this means. Not sure if it eventually
> gets removed from Flathub along with all its dependencies. The consequence
> I encountered was getting spammed on package upgrades that I had an EOL
> GNOME platform installed. I removed the offending package because I didn't
> use it, so am not sure how long the dependency would have hung around.

I'm not using the freedesktop SDK and am building Python 2.7 from source so
that part isn't a problem at least...

> I like Flatpak better, but for the purposes of maintaining Python2 support
> for as long as needed, I wonder if AppImages may be a better bet? You'd
> have to build your own Python, but you can then download and freeze all
> dependencies in a single binary. You may be able to do something similar
> with Flatpak, but the major benefit there is that you can get lots from the
> SDKs/platforms without having to vendor your own dependencies. It may also
> be possible to grab and freeze dependent SDKs into a CHIRP repository.

I barely know how to handle an flatpak, trying to learn Appimage may send
me over the edge :) The only reason I'm doing this at all is I don't want
people upgrading to Fedora 32 not have access to chirp. We're actually
discussing coming out with a ham specific Fedora spin but unfortunately it
will not include chirp at this time.

Thanks,
Richard
KF5OIM