[chirp_users] Chirp and DM-5R Programming

Jim Unroe
Mon Jan 13 15:38:29 PST 2020

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 6:16 PM IT1 Stuart Blake Tener, USNR
<stuart.tener at bh90210.net> wrote:

> John, et alia:
>
> Well, I do understand Chirp not supporting DMR radios. I mean, obviously it could but if it does not, so be it. However, your comment about DM-5R radios using a different Baofeng cable is quite interesting! How can I tell (other than just seeing it does not read the radio) if a potential Beofeng cable is the proper one for a DM-5R (say I see it at a hamfest)? I'm on my 4th or 5th Beofeng cable I've purchased and still have none to program this radio! Can I make one? Where can I get one?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>

> 73,
>
> Stuart, N3GWG

Hi Stuart,

With most DMR radios (at least all the ones I have), the UART chip is
built into the radio itself. The programming cable must not have a
USB-to-TTL chip like a conventional programming cable for an analog
only radio.

You should be able to get one of these programming cables from just
about anyone that sells DMR radios. This page has one from Baofeng
Tech.

https://baofengtech.com/accessories#tabs-4

Both ebay and Amazon have them. So depending on how fast you want one
you will be spending anywhere from $5 to $20 or thereabouts.

The programming cable that I use with my BTech DMR-6X2 and AnyTone
AT-D868UV came with my TYT/Tytera MD-380.