[chirp_users] Chirp screen display and nominal behavior

Jim Unroe
Sat Jan 11 18:30:30 PST 2020

Hi Nita,

> Then I introduced Chirp into the picture. Chirp has columns for both Tone and ToneSql. I have been unable to get the correct tone to show in both columns. Generally, I see a value in the Tone column combined with 'Tone' in the Tone Mode column. Alternatively, I see a value in the ToneSql column and 'TSQL' in the Tone Mode column.

When "Tone Mode" is set to "Tone", the "Tone" field is used to set the
TX CTCSS tone frequency and no tone is used for receive. The "ToneSql"
field is unused.

When "Tone Mode" is set to "TSQL", the "ToneSql" field is used to set
both the RX and TX CTCSS tone frequencies. The "Tone" field is unused.

The only time that both the "Tone" and "ToneSql" fields are used at
the same time is when "Tone Mode" is set to "Cross" and "Cross Mode"
is set to "Tone->Tone"

In CHIRP, when the View -> Hide Unused Fields is enabled (the default
for new CHIRP installations), the fields that require no values are
blank.

Links to CHIRP column guides are here:
http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_CHIRP.php#guides