[chirp_users] Baofeng UV-82HP Previous solution (from frequency to channel mode switching) does not work

Jim Unroe
Sun Dec 20 14:52:05 PST 2020

On Sun, Dec 20, 2020 at 5:36 PM Kevin Evans <kevians2001 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you, Jim,
>
> I got lucky by putting "1" in every cell and that allowed it to change from channel mode to frequency mode.

I don't understand why you needed to do this. Switching between VFO
mode and MR mode is accomplished by powering off the radio then
pressing and holding the [MENU] button while powering the radio back
on -and- continue holding the [MENU] button until the radio fully
boots. If you let off too soon, the switch between modes will not
occur. If you have "VOICE" enabled, once you hear the "frequency mode"
or "channel mode" voice prompt, you can let go.

> I'm having issues though trying to load all of my frequencies into the csv file.  I followed the instructions to the letter but perhaps I'm putting in invalid data in the file?  I only have the freqs and no other data as far as tone and dtcs codes and whatnot. and chirp says it can't find any frequencies and doesn't open the csv file.  Is there something else I should be doing?

You cannot just create a random CSV file and load it into CHIRP. It
must be in the proper format so CHIRP can understand what is being
read in. Program one or more channels using the "spreadsheet style
memory editor". If you wish you can import them from any of the "stock
config" files, one or more of the "data sources" and/or the a test
"image" file from the CHIRP repository. Once you have a few channels,
then export them to a CSV file. Use this CSV file as a template for
how the channels that you add should look like.