[chirp_users] Rs: setting up a uv-5ra via Chirp

Jim Unroe
Tue Oct 15 13:55:29 PDT 2019

On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 2:56 PM Steve <kc7byp at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Jim. I got a purdy good idea now how to setup the (B) display. 1 point that still confuse me. It saids in the manual, menu #21 and #22 that the wording, example "FRS1" in the (B) display. The name in the display can only be edited via Chirp.
>
> Jim said. When in MR (channel) mode, you can change the Memory Display Format
> (MDF) at any time to whichever format you want. Most user like to have
> one display line formatted to show NAME and the other display line
> formatted to show FREQ. But some like to see them both set to NAME.
>
> You can use menu 21 (MDF-A) and/or menu 22 (MDF-B) to set either MDF
> that way you each display line formatted. The choices are CHAN, NAME
> and FREQ.
>
> As I explained in my earlier reply, you can also set each display
> line's MDF using CHIRP .
>
> Settings -> Basic Settings -> Display Mode (A): (Channel | Name | Frequency)
> Settings -> Basic Settings -> Display Mode (B): (Channel | Name | Frequency)
>
> If you set your MDF-A and MDF-B up using the radio's menus and want
> them to stay that way, don't forget to download the changes to CHIRP
> and save them. Otherwise the next time you upload changes from your
> saved CHIRP Radio Images (*.img) file, they will be set back to the
> way CHIRP has them stored in the above mentioned settings.

Correct.

The Memory Display Format allows the user to choose what type of
information is displayed in each display line. It can display...

1. the currently selected CHANnel number ("CH-nnn" where "nnn" is the
selected channel number)
2. the NAME (consisting of alpha text, numbers and some special
characters) of the currently selected channel.
3. the programmed RX frequency (and the TX frequency when the [PTT]
button is pressed) of the currently selected channel.

The alpha text, numbers and some special characters that make a
memory's NAME can only be added or edited using programming software
(CHIRP, Baofeng CPS and VIP, RT Systems, etc.). If you set NAME as the
Memory Display Format of a display line and the selected memory has a
blank/empty name (as it would be if you programmed it from the
keypad), then the selected channel number ("nnn" where "nnn" is the
selected channel number) is displayed in place of the missing "name".

So to say it another way...

Programming software is used to add/edit the name of a memory.

The Memory Display Format menus are used to determine if the memory's
programmed name is displayed or not.