[chirp_users] First time user (help)

Jim Unroe
Sun May 26 05:08:13 PDT 2019

On Sun, May 26, 2019 at 6:06 AM Graham S <graham.seale at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello chirp  folk
> My first time  using chirpw - not yet totally working yet.
> The mission was to program a Baofeg Radio
> Platform is Linux (Mint - Ubuntu based)
> chirpw does install OK in /usr/bin
> It also runs from $HOME/bin if I put a copy there.
>
> I check with "lsusb" to see that the USB device is seen OK, and all is well.
> 1. Firstly, I get a permissions refusal on attempting the communication.
> "An error has occurred
> [Errno 13] could not open port /dev/ttyS0"
>
> 2. If I run chirpw from a terminal, I get message:
> (process:5560): Gtk-WARNING **: 10:09:24.416: Locale not supported by C library.
>     Using the fallback 'C' locale.
> Gtk-Message: 10:09:24.418: Failed to load module "atk-bridge"
>
> I check to see libatk-bridge2.0-0 is present - and all is well
> Also libatk-bridge2.0-dev is there
> I do not understand why the module is not loaded.
> The messages seem to come from a process that is named like a LAN network address which keeps changing except for the first number "10".
> It might some GTK process
> Have I done something catastrophic?
> Maybe missed out something essential?
> Thanks if you can help
> My regards all

Hi Graham,

I use Linux Mint here as well.

You didn't say what version of CHIRP you installed. If you installed
CHIRP using the Software Manager the CHIRP version that was installed
would be over 3 years old. You must un-install this very old version
of CHIRP completely.

The correct way to install CHIRP to run under Ubuntu (and derivatives
like Mint) would be to add the CHIRP PPA and then install CHIRP as
shown on the "Running CHIRP Under Linux" wiki page.

https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Running_Under_Linux

To get serial port permissions you must add your user to the "dialout"
group using the "Users and Groups" app or via command line as shown in
the "serial port permissions" section of the "Running CHIRP Under
Linux" page (preferred) or running CHIRP as root using "sudo chirpw"
in terminal.

Don't forget to log out and back in for the new group permissions to
take effect.