[chirp_users] First time user (help)

Graham S
Sun May 26 03:03:14 PDT 2019

Hello chirp  folk
My first time  using chirpw - not yet totally working yet.
The mission was to program a Baofeg Radio
Platform is Linux (Mint - Ubuntu based)
chirpw does install OK in /usr/bin
It also runs from $HOME/bin if I put a copy there.

I check with "lsusb" to see that the USB device is seen OK, and all is well.
1. Firstly, I get a permissions refusal on attempting the communication.
"An error has occurred
[Errno 13] could not open port /dev/ttyS0"

2. If I run chirpw from a terminal, I get message:
(process:5560): Gtk-WARNING **: 10:09:24.416: Locale not supported by C
library.
    Using the fallback 'C' locale.
Gtk-Message: 10:09:24.418: Failed to load module "atk-bridge"

I check to see libatk-bridge2.0-0 is present - and all is well
Also libatk-bridge2.0-dev is there
I do not understand why the module is not loaded.
The messages seem to come from a process that is named like a LAN network
address which keeps changing except for the first number "10".
It might some GTK process
Have I done something catastrophic?
Maybe missed out something essential?
Thanks if you can help