[chirp_users] Truth or Fiction

Sid Hayn
Fri May 24 19:38:37 PDT 2019

I helped write the Yaesu VX-3R driver
https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/repository/entry/chirp/drivers/vx3.py#L1

About a year after that, (and using the radio a good bit) the radio
appeared to lose power while I was writing to it.  The battery was
tested and charged, still no love.  I sent it to Yaesu and the
replaced some minor part (*not* the flash) but sadly I don't have the
documentation on what anymore.  After they sent it back to me I didn't
use it as much (I had more radios by this point).  About a year ago I
started using it more heavily and 6 months ago the same thing happened
(with the writing and the dying).

In no way do I "blame chirp".  In fact, I'd more likely blame a
problem with the cheap cable possibly having voltage spikes and the
radio not being designed to handle a small voltage spike over the
serial and shorting something out.  That said, twice my vx-3r has died
while writing to it from chirp.

Thanks,
Rick

PS> I don't sell anything, I don't work on radios for a living, and I
love chirp.  I don't believe there is any possible way someone could
suggest I'm biased aside from unlucky personal experience.