[chirp_users] problem with baofeng uv-5r

Glenn At Home
Mon Nov 12 12:04:02 PST 2018

I have one that this happened to, and I can only use the external speaker-mic now.
Glenn
----- Original Message -----
From: Amnon Zohar
To: Discussion of CHIRP
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2018 10:26 AM
Subject: Re: [chirp_users] problem with baofeng uv-5r

Tx jim ill check with external mic. Any suggestion to solve it?

בתאריך יום ב׳, 12 בנוב' 2018, 16:36, מאת Jim Unroe <rock.unroe at gmail.com>:

  On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 8:55 AM Amnon Zohar <amnon.zohar at gmail.com> wrote:

  > not exactly a chirp issue:
  >
  > i have few uv-5r's
  >
  > one of them can only receive
  > while transmitting the others receive only the bip but not the voice~
  > what might be the reason besides a defective mic

  When a external device (speaker/mic, programming cable, etc.) is
  plugged into the socket of the radio, 2 contacts are lifted to
  disconnect the internal microphone and the internal speaker. It is
  common in these radios for the contact to not fully return to the
  initial position when the 2-pin plug is removed. When this happens,
  the internal mic and/or speaker remains disconnected.

  > (while checking i found out i cannot manualy change menu 5 from wide to narrow . it remais as programmed - this IS a chirp issue(

  This is not a CHIRP issue. This is how the radio works. You cannot
  permanently change any parameter of a programmed memory. You can only
  temporarily change TX power output level by tapping the [#] or swap
  the TX and RX frequencies by tapping the [*] to put the radio into
  "reverse" mode.

  You can only manually update the TX frequency and either the TX DCS
  code or TX CTCSS tone by entering the values in the top (A) VFO and
  then write the new values to the appropriate memory using menu 28
  (MEM-CH). To change any other parameter, including menu 5 (W/N), you
  must erase the memory and program the memory back from scratch using
  the top (A) VFO or use programming software such as CHIRP.