[chirp_users] Wrong Kenwood radio, ID or unknown variant, see LOG output.

Pavel Milanes Costa
Fri May 11 07:16:25 PDT 2018

Hi Gene,

Kenwood TK-372G Driver author here.

There are some kind of USB-TTL adapters that are picky about cloning
this Kenwood Family, please try this:

  * Use a real Serial port if possible (the ones in the back of the PC)
  * If you use a USB adapter try *NOT to use it on a USB 3.0* port or a
    USB hub.
  * If none of this above works, try a different USB-Serial Adapter. (if
    your interface allow it)
  * If all this don't work, please test the USB-serial + program
    interface with the OEM software to check it's working ok.

You described that the radio is getting the PC signal (it shows -PC- in
the display) and the log shows that the radio didn't accept the PROGRAM
command after trying 10 times...

In my experience some USB-TTL adapters just don't work with this radios
(but yes with others, like the Feidaxin FD268A or the Baofengs) I
suspect about the USB-serial chip sets or USB driver not keeping up with
the requirements of the radio.

In this case the radio is passing to program mode and answering back but
the PC seems to have a lag or not in sync with the answer...

Culprit?: who knows... chipset... driver... python-serial+driver...

In any case I'm willing to resolve that issue, please test the proposed
curse of action and report back.

Cheers, Pavel, CO7WT.