[chirp_users] Hesenate vhf/uhf

Ray Nicholson
Wed Nov 29 05:44:36 PST 2017

Thanks Amnon for your help.  I got my problem resolved by going to Baofeng and downloading a driver for the genuine Baofeng PC03 cable I had bought.  The driver matched the chipset in the cable.  I was now able to get into the CHRIP program and setup for a Boafeng radio UV-5R.  It is working fine.
Thanks
Ray W3EGG

-----Original Message-----
From: Amnon Zohar <amnon.zohar at gmail.com>
To: Discussion of CHIRP <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
Sent: Wed, Nov 29, 2017 4:24 am
Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Hesenate vhf/uhf

updating cab be avoided

It probably uses a fake Prolific chipset, all too common sadly.

Windows will not use those now, unless you roll back the driver,      but then Windows will "update" it to the latest again at the next      opportunity.  If you turn Windows updates off, then you are      potentially vulnerable for other troubles as they are found later.

They still work OK on most Linux's though, as does Chirp just      fine.

Solution, use a FTDI based cable (if you can find a seller to      guarantee that they are genuine too) or build your own cable with      a known genuine USB<>Serial chip.   The "Genuine" Prolific      chips are OK in Windows.

Silicon Lab's chips are OK too, but you'll have to install      drivers yourself for them, except on Linux, where they "just work"      without issue on most distro's.

Note:  The "Fake" chips, are actually micro-controllers      programmed to emulate Prolific or FTDI chips.  The emulations are      quite good, but can be detected by the "official" drivers.  The      current official Prolific drivers will not use the Fakes.        Similarly, FTDI drivers will not use the fakes either.  Earlier      FTDI drivers would "brick" them by resetting the VID/PID values to      zero.   Caused a lot of bad press that did.  (But they can be      un-bricked!)

The fake FDTI chips can be identified as being unable to      re-assign the auxiliary I/O pin functions.  Well, the software is      happy, but the change doesn’t actually happen.  That's how I found      one, I needed to invert the TXD line, but no change happened.

I have also personally come across a chip that was marked up as      FTDI, but identified itself to the PC as Prolific!  I suspect      there are undocumented ways to "configure" the emulation.

Take care.

73.

Dave G0WBX.