[chirp_users] Hesenate vhf/uhf

Dave B
Wed Nov 29 01:04:48 PST 2017

It probably uses a fake Prolific chipset, all too common sadly.

Windows will not use those now, unless you roll back the driver, but
then Windows will "update" it to the latest again at the next
opportunity.  If you turn Windows updates off, then you are potentially
vulnerable for other troubles as they are found later.

They still work OK on most Linux's though, as does Chirp just fine.

Solution, use a FTDI based cable (if you can find a seller to guarantee
that they are genuine too) or build your own cable with a known genuine
USB<>Serial chip.   The "Genuine" Prolific chips are OK in Windows.

Silicon Lab's chips are OK too, but you'll have to install drivers
yourself for them, except on Linux, where they "just work" without issue
on most distro's.

Note:  The "Fake" chips, are actually micro-controllers programmed to
emulate Prolific or FTDI chips.  The emulations are quite good, but can
be detected by the "official" drivers.  The current official Prolific
drivers will not use the Fakes.   Similarly, FTDI drivers will not use
the fakes either.  Earlier FTDI drivers would "brick" them by resetting
the VID/PID values to zero.   Caused a lot of bad press that did.  (But
they can be un-bricked!)

The fake FDTI chips can be identified as being unable to re-assign the
auxiliary I/O pin functions.  Well, the software is happy, but the
change doesn’t actually happen.  That's how I found one, I needed to
invert the TXD line, but no change happened.

I have also personally come across a chip that was marked up as FTDI,
but identified itself to the PC as Prolific!  I suspect there are
undocumented ways to "configure" the emulation.

Take care.

73.

Dave G0WBX.