[chirp_users] Baofeng UV-5R Just transmits when connected to computer

Pavel Milanes
Tue Nov 7 12:36:06 PST 2017

Ubuntu does it.

Get your copy of Ubuntu and make a "tail -f /var/log/syslog" on a
terminal to watch out for hardware changes...

now Plug any USB-serial adapter in the box... you will see modem-manager
happily testing it and complain about it not being a modem... some
devices are on time and in less than 5 seconds it complains and leave it
alone

Others are lazy/slow and may take a few seconds (My USB-Serial adapter
for other project {ark3##? chipset} can be also a RS-485 device so the
kernel takes its time to probe if it's a RS232 or RS485 < I'm no sure if
this is the other correct standard number...) and may take up to 10 to
15 seconds to release the serial port...

I use to kill and remove modem manager when this is an issue for
productivity/speed on the development... but this bug may bite you... so
be warned.

Cheers.

El 07/11/17 a las 13:58, Drew from Zhrodague escribió:
> 	modem daemon. Do you mean Network Manager, or do you mean pppd? Unless
> very specifically configured to do SLIP or PPP, Network Manager
> shouldn't probe any devices at all to see if they are a modem. If they
> did, it would power-off any APC UPS plugged into a serial port instantly.
>

> On 11/7/17 11:46 AM, Pavel Milanes wrote:
>> I little trick I learned from experience:
>>
>> Ubuntu has a deamon for handling modems, if you try to plug your USB
>> cable and read/write to the radio at the same moment you usually get an
>> error because the modem daemon is testing it to know if that USB-serial
>> is a modem...
>>
>> If you use Ubuntu or any of his favors just plug your USB without the
>> radio connected and wait 10 to 30 seconds before connecting your radio
>> an try to read/write to it, in this way the modem daemon got plenty of
>> time to test it and discard it as a modem and let it free for you.
>>
>> Cheers
>>

>> El 06/11/17 a las 21:48, kenn gordo escribió:
>>> I have a machine running Ubuntu Mate. When I connect and turn on my
>>> Baofeng UV-5R radio it will transmit and will not let me use Chirp. I
>>> also have a Windows 7 computer that does the same thing. Any help
>>> would be appreciated.

>> --
>> 73 CO7WT, Pavel.

73 CO7WT, Pavel.