[chirp_users] searching old messages

Jim Unroe
Fri Jan 27 02:40:08 PST 2017

On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 9:11 PM, Jason Stevens <fleagalbaum at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all, I am new to the radio stuff.   I would like to search the
> messages for an answer.   I Bought a Baofeng GT-3TP for my own personal
> radio to use on a licensed frequency that I use for volunteer work.  I
> am trying to program it with chirp latest nightly on Debian Linux using
> the BF-F8HP like it says in the wiki but no luck, I get a radio didn't
> respond error with a Prolific cable and an incorrect Model selected
> error with a ftdi cable.  Is there any suggestions to fix this?  It does
> work using the UV-5R driver but then I only have 2 power modes.  My
> friend bough the same Gt-3TP radio and had a UV-5R previously and he is
> having the same problem.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Jason

Baofeng, intentionally or by accident, is shipping some radios with
3-power levels with a firmware version that has for the last couple of
years been used for radios with 2 power levels (HNV5R011). So CHIRP
has been programmed to recognize your radio as one with 2 power
levels. The workaround for the short term is that you use the UV-5R
model selection. You will only have 2 power levels setting. High will
be HIGH (8 watts and Low will be MED (5 watts).