[chirp_users] FT-857D with extended transmit

David A. Behar
Wed Sep 21 21:43:40 PDT 2016

Hi David,

I can't say whether the extended transmit modification "changes to FT-857
with no D". But here is what I believe happens when the modification is
made:

   - The radio has transmit coverage which matches the receive coverage,
   *except* no transmit below 1.8 MHz; no transmit in the FM broadcast
   band; no transmit in the aeronautical VHF band.
   - There are no special channel positions on the radio for the five
   amateur 5 MHz channels. However, with the extended transmit capability the
   five channels can simply be programmed into five of the 200 memory channels.
   - Two-meter band and 440 MHz band amateur repeater offsets are no longer
   set automatically. However, any offset can be set before saving a repeater
   pair into a radio memory.
   - All memories are erased on the radio... but with CHIRP, you can easily
   restore your previously programmed memory channels.
   - For programming with CHIRP, specify FT-857/FT-897 (*not*
    FT-857D/FT-897D).

The details on how to make the modification are available online -- e.g.,
see MARS Modification For Yaesu FT-897D
<https://www.txarmymars.org/downloads/FT897D-MARS-Mod.pdf>. I understand
that upon presentation of proof of MARS or CAP participation, Yaesu
technical support will also provide the modification instructions.

David / K7DB