[chirp_users] FT-857D with extended transmit

Neil - EE
Wed Sep 21 23:21:44 PDT 2016

my 857d is set to d in chirp. has mars mod. all working ok.

From: david271 at gmail.com
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2016 21:43:40 -0700
To: chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
Subject: Re: [chirp_users] FT-857D with extended transmit

Hi David,
I can't say whether the extended transmit modification "changes to FT-857 with no D". But here is what I believe happens when the modification is made:The radio has transmit coverage which matches the receive coverage, except no transmit below 1.8 MHz; no transmit in the FM broadcast band; no transmit in the aeronautical VHF band.There are no special channel positions on the radio for the five amateur 5 MHz channels. However, with the extended transmit capability the five channels can simply be programmed into five of the 200 memory channels.Two-meter band and 440 MHz band amateur repeater offsets are no longer set automatically. However, any offset can be set before saving a repeater pair into a radio memory.All memories are erased on the radio... but with CHIRP, you can easily restore your previously programmed memory channels.For programming with CHIRP, specify FT-857/FT-897 (not FT-857D/FT-897D).The details on how to make the modification are available online -- e.g., see MARS Modification For Yaesu FT-897D. I understand that upon presentation of proof of MARS or CAP participation, Yaesu technical support will also provide the modification instructions.
David / K7DB