[chirp_users] CHIRP and the Kenwood TH-F6A; syncing with Icom

Rich Messeder
Thu May 26 05:56:22 PDT 2016

Using the Kenwood Memory Control Program (MCP), I can create and save radio images independent of the radio. But when I use CHIRP, I get

"The Kenwood TH-F6 operates in live mode. This means that any changes you make are immediately sent to the radio. Because of this, you cannot perform the Save or Upload operations. If you wish to edit the contents offline, please Export to a CSV file, using the File menu."

In the first place, why the behaviour? It does not appear necessary. I have verified that a change in MCP is not written until I write it.

But CHIRP is indeed live. Why? It would be nicer if it were not.

And why not save an image, even if the edits are live? This leads to my current puzzle.

I have downloaded from the F6A in CHIRP.
I save as a *.chirp file.

I wanted to copy that to my Icom IC-T8A.
I followed the beginner's guide and FAQ to merge the Kenwood data with the Icom data. Of course, the Kenwood data is not a *.img file, but a *.chirp file, and I get a schema error. The error makes sense, but only to a point...I guess that I am missing how to update different radios with the same data.

I tried opening both the Icom img and the Kenwood in different instances of CHIRP, but I cannot copy from one and paste to the other. I'm sure that there is a simple step that I am missing.

~R~ NE1EE
Short email? No html? Here's why: http://emailcharter.org/