[chirp_users] Baofeng woes

Jim Unroe
Wed Mar 9 03:05:41 PST 2016

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 12:40 AM, Larry Hook <lhook0387 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I read somewhere, to turn the radio off...then depress the 3 key and turn
> the radio on, and the firmware number will display in the radio's led
> display window. Anyway that's how I found my firmware number. It worked for
> me. Whether it is correct or not is yet to be determined.
>
> And thanks for the link to the firmware .img files. I'm far from getting the
> radio programmed. I'll send you an email Jim and you'll see why.
>
> W0NQF
> Larry

Powering the radio on with the [3] key pressed stopped being a method
for determining the firmware of this style of Baofeng radio over 2
years ago with the release of BFB299 firmware. Powering on your radio
with the [3] key depressed only accurately identifies the firmware
version if it displays from BFB231 through BFB295.

All UV-5R radios (and variants) since BFB297 all masquerade as
BFB297in this power-on message even though the "real" firmware version
continues to change. The exception is BFS313 firmware which displays
BFS297. I believe it is up to N5R240A now.

Using CHIRP is the only method that I know of that will allow you to
determine the actual firmware version of these Baofeng radios.