[chirp_users] Establishing a radio connection

Jim MacKenzie
Mon Jul 18 14:45:21 PDT 2016

I program my radios under Linux, not Windows, but it shouldn't matter.

I tend to turn the radio on just before I first send programming to or from
it.  I tend to use a low volume because it didn't occur to me that it might
matter, and low volume programming has worked fine for me.

If I'm going to be awhile I turn the radio off, but if it's just a quick
change I will leave the radio on.  Truthfully I rarely have to do this as I
save my configurations on my server and I load them, edit them, and
re-upload them; there is almost never need for me to download from a radio
anymore, except for the initial programming.

Jim VE5EIS

-----Original Message-----
From: chirp_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com
[mailto:chirp_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com] On Behalf Of Tom
Simonson
Sent: July-18-16 3:10 PM
To: chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
Subject: [chirp_users] Establishing a radio connection

My question is about the need for power cycling the radio, and the timing of
doing it. Does this play a role in the connection?
For example, suppose that one has downloaded settings from a radio, modified
them (by editing or importing settings), and will then upload the settings
back to the same radio. Is anything accomplished by power cycling the radio?