[chirp_users] Establishing a radio connection

Tom Simonson
Mon Jul 18 14:10:14 PDT 2016

I have been using the CHIRP software for about a year and a half,
mainly with Chinese radios: Baofeng and B-Tech, and have a question
about the process of connecting the radios for upload/download.
I have programmed a number of 888S radios and UV-82C models, and
recently bought a UV-82HP.

I found the 82HP fussier about establishing a connection for
upload/download than the other radios, and required multiple tries -
particularly for an upload. This is using the same FTDI cable used
with the other handheld radios.

When requesting an upload or download, two windows pop up: the
first indicates the type of radio and comm port, followed by a
window giving instructions to connect the radio, power it up,
possibly going to full volume etc. I believe that there is a
checkbox to suppress the second window (which I have not checked).

My question is about the need for power cycling the radio, and
the timing of doing it. Does this play a role in the connection?
For example, suppose that one has downloaded settings from a radio,
modified them (by editing or importing settings), and will then
upload the settings back to the same radio. Is anything
accomplished by power cycling the radio?

---
Tom Simonson, Alameda CA (tom at tsimonson.com)