[chirp_users] Yaesu VX-3R CHIRP/cable issue?

bmw
Fri Jul 15 12:24:24 PDT 2016

I have one of the "proper" cables
(https://www.valley-ent.com/store/yaesu-usb-ftdi-radio-programming-cable-ft-60-vx-1-vx-2-vx-5.html?search=VX-3R),
which works with my Yaesu FT-60R, but I can't get CHIRP working with my
brand-new Yaesu VX-3R. Same computer (Windows 8.1), same driver, no
issues with the FT-60R, but when I follow the CHIRP instructions on
downloading the image from the radio, my VX-3R just sits on the "--TX--"
screen, then gets an ERROR message. CHIRP then says it couldn't
communicate with the radio.

Is there some button press step or procedure I'm missing out on? Known
issues with the cable (that is "supposed" to work with both radios)?

Thanks for any suggestions.

PS This message may look familiar, since I posted the same question in
eham and RR forums. After doing so I thought I'd just go to the CHIRP
source.