[chirp_users] Chirp won't read CSV files correctly

Dave VK2FDJS
Sat Feb 27 21:56:00 PST 2016

> So ...

So, this "generic" file will presumably import into CHIRP without any dramas.

But it's not a "generic file" - it's an export of the setup that was in CHIRP at the time it was created, in a format that CHIRP can handle.  CHIRP is just using the CSV protocol to hold its export.

Regards, Dave VK2FDJS

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Chris Nordstrom
  To: Discussion of CHIRP
  Sent: Sunday, February 28, 2016 2:52 PM
  Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Chirp won't read CSV files correctly

  Right, well as I've said, when you create generic CSV file from Chirp and go look at it, it still contains all the empty fields and the extra commas at the end of the row.  So....

  Regards, Chris W7CFN

  On 2/27/2016 2:31 PM, Tom Hayward wrote:

    On Feb 27, 2016 13:48, "Chris Nordstrom" <cfnordstrom at gmail.com> wrote:
    > I am not aware of these bugs in Excel that were mentioned.  After creating my CSV file, I used a raw file viewer and did not see any extra characters or missing characters.  I am using Excel now to edit the CSV files and they import fine.  Is it true that there has to be a default value in rToneFreq?  And what about the errors I get when there are columns with header text but no data in the column?  Could this be caused by Excel?

    Yes, you need to provide appropriate defaults if you're not editing with Chirp (when you edit a CSV with Chirp, it will fill in all the defaults for you). Here's a quote from the documentation I linked earlier:

    "Field values must be in the original format and one of the accepted values for the column type."

    Excel is a generic spreadsheet program. If you want to use it to edit Chirp CSV files, you will need to handle the data validation yourself to ensure it stays in a format compatible with Chirp.

    Tom KD7LXL