[chirp_users] Chirp won't read CSV files correctly

Dave VK2FDJS
Sat Feb 27 22:12:16 PST 2016

> I am not aware of these bugs in Excel that were mentioned. ...

There are (or were) bugs in Excel for CSV files, but these are not them.  :-)

Excel will write a CSV file that contains the information it knows to put in.  It will get this from two places:

1)  Cells that came from a CSV file,
2)  Cells that you've put values in.

So, the first 16 entries came in from the CSV file when it was read.  These lines had included the 5 trailing commas, so Excel knew there were empty cells in those rows that needed to be written out.

The remainder of the entries came from extra rows that you added (I assume).  There is no formal layout to a worksheet, so Excel has no way of guessing that you want all rows to have the same number of columns, or even that these rows are supposed to be the same width as what's in row 1 of the worksheet, which is simply another row of information.

I certainly couldn't put it any better than Tom, so: " It sounds like you are a relatively new user of Chirp, yet
using third party software to edit Chirp files is arguably one of the most advanced things you can do with Chirp."

Regards, Dave VK2FDJS