[chirp_users] New UV5-RTP not recognized with BF-F8HP model selection

Jim Unroe
Tue Dec 6 06:14:11 PST 2016

On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 8:41 AM, Dr. Hans-Christian Becker
<hcb.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> Apologies for flooding the list with my progress or lack thereof. I have
> become little wiser now, though.
>
> 1- The BFB325 radio is recognized with the BF-F8HP selection in Chirp and
> successfully programmed.

OK

> 2- BUT: Memory channels with offset show "000.000" in the menu after
> programming, although the operation is OK (it does transmit at the shift).
> Shift indicators "+" and "-" are both on.

This is normal. These radios don't use shift direction or an offset
value in memory channels. They aren't needed. Because of this, menu 25
(SFT-D) and menu 26 (OFFSET) do not function or have a purpose in MR
(channel) mode.

What they require is the RX frequency and the TX frequency. CHIRP lets
you enter it as an RX frequency, shift direction and offset amount,
but then does the math and sends the RX frequency and TX frequency to
the radio because that is what it requires.

Then the the RX frequency and TX frequency are not the same (as in a
repeater, odd-split, cross-band or TX blocked channel) the upper
status display shows "+-". It is only in VFO (frequency) mode (where
menu 25 and menu 26 are used) will you see the "+" and "-" indicators
separately.

> 3- The BFB323 radio is recognized as a UV5-R. It can be programmed (with the
> obvious exception of the 3 power levels) with Chirp.

This is because, right or wrong, it identifies itself to CHIRP as
being a radio with 2 power levels.

> 4- The BFB323 radio behaves the same way as the BFB325; +/- both lit, shift
> shows 000.000.

Same as #2.

> None of the radios above can be manually programmed for shift in memory
> locations manually.

This is because these radios do not use "shifts" in memory channels.
It is simpler and take less memory to directly use the RX frequency
and the TX frequency.

You set the VFO to the RX frequency and write to and empty channel
using menu 27.
(This creates a simplex channel with the TX frequency = RX frequency).
Then you set the VFO to the TX frequency and write it to the same
channel as before.
(This updates the TX frequency to the frequency currently in the VFO).

Watch this video: https://youtu.be/CrG0El1KkIM

> Furthermore, it seems that, e.g., transmit power can not be changed in a
> programmed memory with BFB325, but it can be with BFB323.

You cannot change any of the parameters of a programmed channel at all
in MR mode. In VFO mode, you can only update the TX frequency and/or
the TX CTCSS tone and/or the TX DCS code of a memory channel. You do
this by setting the 3 values and writing to the channel with menu 27.
To change anything else requires that the channel be erased and
reprogrammed from scratch (or use CHIRP).

You can temporarily toggle through the TX power levels by tapping the [#] key.

> I keep learning the quirks of these things :)

There are quite a few. Most are covered in these guides:
http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_MenuDef.php