[chirp_users] New UV5-RTP not recognized with BF-F8HP model selection

Jim Unroe
Tue Dec 6 02:10:43 PST 2016

On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 2:32 AM, Dr. Hans-Christian Becker
<hcb.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> This is my first foray into China radios and Chirp.
> Yesterday I get a two-pack Baofeng UV5-RTP radios. I downloaded the latest
> build of Chirp (20161123). When I select "BF-F8HP" as per the FAQ, I get an
> "Incorrect Model" error.
>
> After downloading with the UV5-R model selection, firmware version reported
> is
> HN5RV01
> 1FB297
>
> debug.log after testing with BF-F8HP and then UV5-R models attached.
>
> Any hints and help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
> Hans-Christian SM7TL/KG6POK

The HN5RV01/1FB297 firmware version indicates that this radio only has
2 power levels. It is definitely not a UV-5RTP. The correct model
selection would be UV-5R.