[chirp_users] Can't Write to Yaesu FT-06

bob at n4rfc.com
Tue Apr 26 13:20:19 PDT 2016

Tom,

Thanks for the input. I will check the log to see if their is anything
interesting in there.

The interface definitely loops back, hardwired at the cable going to the
radio. (Schematic Attached) I opened PUTTY (terminal) and it loops back
just fine.

I was thinking there could be something different on this radio vs the
FT-8900 that is causing one of the signals from the interface to be
pulled down (or up) and I will check that too.

However, I loaded a copy of the FTB60 program from G4HFQ, imported a CSV
file from the 8900 and the FTB60 program wrote the FT-60 first try. So,
I think the levels are probably good between the radio and the
interface. I will look at them on the O-Scope just to make sure.

I have achieved my goal, to have the FT-8900R and the FT-60 with the
same channel setup, but I am $15 lighter than I was this morning when I
started this project!

Thanks,

Bob N4RFC

On 2016-04-26 19:06, Tom Hayward wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 10:37 AM, <bob at n4rfc.com> wrote:
>
>> I have the same problem with writing to a Yaesu FT-60 handheld. I can download from the FT-60, but when I write I get a "Failed to communicate with radio: Radio is not responding" error. I have checked the issues page and see there was a issue with writing to the FT-60 that was deemed closed after reloading drivers for the Prolific Chipset. My USB/RS-323 interface is a FTDI. The interface is a homebrew RS-232 to TTL level shifter that works, with a different cable, just fine to read and write to my FT-8900R. I suspect there is some timing differences between the two radios. The computer is a Winders 7 - 64 bit 3gHz I3 Processor with 8 gB ram. I am running the latest download of Chrip (4/19/16). Is there any logging going on in Chrip that I can enable and look at?
>
> There is a log. Details here:
> http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/How_to_report_issues#Getting-your-debug-log [1]
>
> But I suspect it won't tell you much more than you already know.
>
> If you were me, I might try watching the signals on a digital
> oscilloscope / logic analyzer to see if the radio truly is not
> responding. You could then proceed with the timing hypothesis.
>
> One thing you might check with your homebrew cable is that loopback is
> working. Chirp expects the serial tx/rx lines on Yaesu cables to be
> tied together, so you should see everything you type into a serial
> console echoed back. Chirp knows this and will read as many bytes as
> it writes to clear the buffer before looking for a response from the
> radio. If your cable isn't echoing, it will clear the response from
> the buffer without looking for it!
>
> Tom KD7LXL

Links:
------