[chirp_users] Can't Write to Yaesu FT-06

Tom Hayward
Tue Apr 26 11:06:02 PDT 2016

On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 10:37 AM,  <bob at n4rfc.com> wrote:
> I have the same problem with writing to a Yaesu FT-60 handheld.  I can
> download from the FT-60, but when I write I get a "Failed to communicate
> with radio: Radio is not responding" error.
>
> I have checked the issues page and see there was a issue with writing to the
> FT-60 that was deemed closed after reloading drivers for the Prolific
> Chipset.  My USB/RS-323 interface is a FTDI.  The interface is a homebrew
> RS-232 to TTL level shifter that works, with a different cable, just fine to
> read and write to my FT-8900R.
>
> I suspect there is some timing differences between the two radios.
>
> The computer is a Winders 7 - 64 bit 3gHz I3 Processor with 8 gB ram.  I am
> running the latest download of Chrip (4/19/16).
>
> Is there any logging going on in Chrip that I can enable and look at?

There is a log. Details here:
http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/How_to_report_issues#Getting-your-debug-log

But I suspect it won't tell you much more than you already know.

If you were me, I might try watching the signals on a digital
oscilloscope / logic analyzer to see if the radio truly is not
responding. You could then proceed with the timing hypothesis.

One thing you might check with your homebrew cable is that loopback is
working. Chirp expects the serial tx/rx lines on Yaesu cables to be
tied together, so you should see everything you type into a serial
console echoed back. Chirp knows this and will read as many bytes as
it writes to clear the buffer before looking for a response from the
radio. If your cable isn't echoing, it will clear the response from
the buffer without looking for it!

Tom KD7LXL