[chirp_users] TYT 9800 / chirp driver

alfredmjones@yahoo.com
Tue Sep 15 09:39:52 PDT 2015

I need some ideas here.  I have a Baofeng UV82L that I program with Chirp
and have no problem cloning this for the various UV5? radios that people
have around here.  I'm comfortable with Chirp.

Recently purchased a TYT 9800; I have no problem programming that from the
front panel, but I'm a computer junky and it's normally easier to enter /
fix radio data programmatically.

Running Windows 10, updated; have a cable that claims to be a TYT (the label
on the cable); when plugged in device manager reports "Unknown USB Device
(Device Descriptor Request Failed)"

The Prolific 3.2.0.0 driver announces itself as being available on com 4
when the Baofeng cable is plugged in; however I see no com ports available
for the TYT - I have not been able to get either the driver that came with
the disk or the one available fro Grapevine (retailer in Dallas) to install.

Any comments / suggestions would be appreciated.  I'm at a loss.

//al