[chirp_users] Mac user - inconsistent ability to contact radio

Jim Unroe
Thu Oct 29 09:32:01 PDT 2015

More often than not, if the radio transmits when the programming cable
is plugged in, the programming has a conterfeit Prolific type
USB-to-TTL chip and an incompatible driver is installed. Many think
they can avoid this by purchasing the "genuine" Baofeng labeled
programming cable. Not so. It is made with same counterfeit chip as
the generic cables are. From what I have seen in the last 3.5 years,
this is the #1 cause of problems for Baofeng radios users. One of the
most common indicators of an incompatible driver is that the radio
will transmit when the programming cable is plugged in.

This issue can usually be corrected by one or more of the following...

- Windows users can download, install and select the older v3.2.0.0
Prolific driver.
- Mac OS X users can install a generic driver or purchase a 3rd party driver
- Use Linux or the CHIRP Live CD
- Replace the programming cable with one having the FTDI chip
- Modify the programming cable so it has a CP2102 chip or FTDI chip

If you can't solve the transmitting problem with one of the above
solutions, Baofeng users (and most likely others) can at least program
a channel that has TX disabled and then select it when the radio is
being programmed.

The #2 most common problem that I have seen is not getting the
programming cable fully plugged into the radio's socket. Interference
between the plugs plastic shell and the case if the most common cause.
Trimming the plug's shell can reduce this interference. There are
other causes of this as well. Variations in length of the pins on the
cheaper cables. Variations of the location of the socket inside the
case of the cheaper radios. And sometimes it is the user just failed
to push the plug in all the way.

Jim KC9HI