[chirp_users] UV-5R Woes

Dave Nathanson
Mon Nov 9 17:21:31 PST 2015

I'm not as fast as Jim Unroe, nor as knowledgeable, but hey, here's a 2nd opinion. :-)

Have you tried "Tone" instead of TSQL?
TSQL means it uses the tone for both RX & TX.
Tone is just for TX.
If you don't need the tone to RX (and you almost never actually NEED it, even if it is nice to help cut out stray noise), but you're using it, the TSQL will filter out the repeater so you can't hear it.

So I wonder if you're really not hitting the repeater, or if you just can't hear it coming back after you do open it.
Can you try TX with this radio as-is, while monitoring on a different radio that you know works with this repeater? I'm curious to know if the other radio hears you opening the repeater, but this one doesn't.
And then I would try using "Tone" instead of TSQL for this repeater. Actually, probably most of those repeaters on your list.

73,
Dave Nathanson
KG6ZJO