[chirp_users] Versions

David Ranch
Mon Mar 30 20:33:25 PDT 2015

Hello Bry,

> I set the radio per the cloning instructions and it says: CLONE and then CL OUT m.
> Then I click on OK.
>
> "Failure to communicate with the radio: unexpected response from radio"

It sounds right... are you sure this cable works?  I know you said it's
FTDI based but there have been counterfit versions of those too.  If you
go into the Control Panel --> System --> Device Manager   Does the
serial port show up ok without any warning icons, etc?

> Do I need to change the com port speed or something??
> It's set for 8-N-1, 9600 baud

I think chirp already knows what the serial port needs to be configured for.

> Unfortunately, nothing in the Icom manual specifies the data port settings for the CLONE
> function.
>
> I might just as well have bought a cheap Baofeng I suppose.

Naw, I'm sure things will work ok, we're just missing something simple.
Speaking of Baofeng, push the connector into the radio REALLY hard (I
mean HARD) and give it a try again.  That's a very common problem with
cheap cables.

> Like I said, I have been trying since january!

This could be a bad cable.  I think you can connect the TX to RX and
using a program like Hyperterminal, type in characters and see if you
see them back.  This is an easy way to see if things aren't working right

    http://www.kc8unj.com/interface.html

--David
KI6ZHD