[chirp_users] serial port monitor?

Rob Locher
Thu Jan 29 20:43:42 PST 2015

Hi all,

I believe I've found a CHIRP bug, er I mean an issue.  When I try to
"Download from Radio" with my ID-880H, I get an error almost immediately:
"Failed to communicate with the radio: Unexpected response from radio".
I'm running Ubuntu 14.04 and the 2015-01-23 daily build of Chirp.  I use
the same USB-to-serial converter to troubleshoot hardware devices
regularly using minicom, so I'm confident it's not a permissions problem.
I'm able to use the Icom software to program the radio (after booting the
netbook into Windows, ugh), so I don't think it's an issue with the radio
or the cable.  I checked to see if I have the latest firmware for the
radio, but there haven't been any updates.

Before I report the issue, I'd like to gather as much information as I
reasonably can.  If there's a relatively simple way to capture the traffic
on the serial port, I'd like to do that.  I did some Googling, and all the
methods I found seemed complicated.  Of course there might be a much
easier way, like setting a debug level.  So I ask the group, is there
something reasonable that I can do to log the activity on the serial port
before I report my issue?

73,
- Rob W7GH