[chirp_users] Special Mode?

Jim Unroe
Thu Jan 8 17:48:01 PST 2015

On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 7:17 PM, David B. Horvath, CCP <dhorvath at cobs.com> wrote:
> I'm looking to use the receiver out of those ranges Jim. I can
> manually program those frequencies into the radio but not via Chirp.
>
> - David

Yes. Sort of. CHIRP will let you alter the band limits of a UV-5R and
variant to a low of 1 MHz and an high of 1000 MHz. The you are able to
key in any STEP compatible frequency within those limits (except you
will have to arrow to frequencies below 100 MHz because you can key in
a leading "zero"). Once you have the frequency in the VFO you can
program it to a memory channel as you would a normal in-band
frequency.

That being said, even though the UV-5R and variants will display any
STEP compatible frequency between 1-1000 MHz, it won't RX/TX very far
out of the factory specified band limits. My crude tests came up with
these as practical limits.

VHF range 136-174 MHz  expands to  127.8-176.0 MHz
UHF range 400-520 MHz  expands to  383.5-524.3 MHz

YMMV