[chirp_users] What are the .img, .chirp, and .icf files all about?

Tom Hayward
Mon Oct 13 11:53:17 PDT 2014

On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 9:40 AM, Bruce MacAlister, W4BRU <W4BRU at arrl.net> wrote:
> I can save or export my TH-F6A and TM-D700 memories as a .csv file but not
> as an .img or .chirp file. Yet my UV-82 can be saved as both .img and .csv
> files. So, of course, I'm curious what these four file formats are about and
> why some formats do not work with some radios.

.csv - generic format that can be imported into any radio and opened
with 3rd-party software such as a text or spreadsheet editor.

.chirp - Chirp-specific format that can be imported into any radio. It
predates CSV. Within Chirp, it has the same features as a CSV, but
it's not easily editable outside of Chirp. CSV is recommended in place
of .chirp.

.img - an "image" downloaded from a clone-mode radio. This is a copy
of the bits exactly as they are found on the radio (until you edit
it). It's great for making backups of a specific radio, but not as
good as CSV for transferring data between radios. .img files for
different models or firmware versions of radios are [or may be]
completely different and not interchangeable.

All of the other formats supported by Chirp are for opening files
generated by other programming software. Examples:
- EVE software for Yaesu VX-5 (.eve)
- Kenwood software HMK format (.hmk)
- Kenwood commercial ITM format (.itm)
- Icom Data Files (.icf)
- ARRL TravelPlus (.tpe)
- VX5 Commander Files (.vx5)
- VX7 Commander Files (.vx7)

I recommend building a CSV file that has the standard programming you
want in all your radios. Save this CSV in the stock_configs folder so
that it is available from the File > Stock Configs menu.

Now, for each of your radios:
1. Download
2. Save the resulting .img as a backup
3. Import the CSV you built in the last step. This adds your standard
channels to the .img file.
4. Save As the modified .img file with the date in the filename so you
can remember when you last updated the radio
5. Upload to the radio.

Tom KD7LXL