[chirp_users] What are the .img, .chirp, and .icf files all about?

Bruce MacAlister, W4BRU
Mon Oct 13 11:17:57 PDT 2014

Thanks. Jim.  I just tested my TM-D700 and indeed I can export it as a
.chirp file as well as a .csv.  I'm still curious; why all the types and
how do they differ?

On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 12:52 PM, Jim Unroe <rock.unroe at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Bruce,
>
> The difference is that the Kenwoods communicate with CHIRP in "Live" mode
> and your UV-82 communicates with CHIRP in "Clone". This is due to the
> design of the radio and not CHIRP. See the CHIRP "Beginners Guide".
>
> http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Beginners_Guide
>
> Jim KC9HI
>
> On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 12:40 PM, Bruce MacAlister, W4BRU <W4BRU at arrl.net>
> wrote:
>
>> I can save or export my TH-F6A and TM-D700 memories as a .csv file but
>> not as an .img or .chirp file. Yet my UV-82 can be saved as both .img and
>> .csv files. So, of course, I'm curious what these four file formats are
>> about and why some formats do not work with some radios.
>>
>> --
>> 73, Bruce, W4BRU

73, Peace,سلام ,שָׁלוֹם, ειρήνη, Bruce ∞