[chirp_users] problem programming radios

Jim Unroe
Thu Nov 27 06:12:58 PST 2014

On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 12:10 AM, kcrunchone hill <kcrunchone at gmail.com> wrote:
> I still cant program the radio, it is not uploading tot he newer radios from
> my older img. the older img is the only one that I have, I have tried to
> read intot he fix but I really think I am in need of some step by step help.
> I am not as experienced as many of the guys on the forums and such and need
> a bit more guidance as to if I can flash the new radio with older frimware
> and the location of it if it exist.
>

> Rick
>
> --
> from tdc to bdc fire is my desire
> F I N A O
> failure is not an option

Rick,

You must not upload a .img file from an older Baofeng radio with
pre-N5R firmware (BFB-xxx) to a new Baofeng radio with N5R-xxx
firmware (the opposite is also true). CHIRP is doing it's job by
preventing you from doing this.

There are several things that you can do. They all involve downloading
from your N5R-20 radio first using the latest CHIRP daily build.

1. launch CHIRP
2. download from your N5R-20 radio into CHIRP
3. perform a "File -> Save As" and save the tab of channels and
settings as "N5Rbackup.img" (keep this backup in a safe place and
don't ever edit it)
4. perform a second "File -> Save As" and save the tab of channels and
settings as "N5R.img" (this is the tab that you will now edit for your
new radio)
5. erase any channel rows from the N5R.img tab that you don't want
(click on a row, type Ctrl-A to select all of the channel rows and
then press Delete to erase all 128 rows at once).
6a. perform a "File->Import", change the mask to "CHIRP Radio Images
(*.img)" and load the *.img file from the older BFB radio with the
desired channel layout
6b. make any changes to the "Import From File" dialog window and press
[OK] to continue

All of the channels from the older .img file are now in the N5R.img tab.

Note: The "import" feature only transfers the data related to the
channel rows of the spreadsheet memory editor. The remaining settings
menus (Basic Settings, Advanced Settings, Other Settings, etc) must be
handled separately.

7. update any other settings as needed and upload to your N5R-20 radio

The easiest way to match up the settings between both radios is to
load both the .img file from the older radio and the N5R.img file from
the new radio into CHIRP at the same time. In each tab, select the
same settings menu ("Settings -> Basic Settings" for example). Toggle
between the two tabs and you will easily see the differences. Adjust
these settings as needed to make them the same (or at least as close
to the same as desired). Then repeat this process for the remaining
settings menus.