[chirp_users] Cannot program Yaesu VX5R - need suggestions on how to debug.

David Hagood
Thu Nov 27 09:26:51 PST 2014

I have a Yaesu VX5R, and I cannot read the radio using CHIRP
daily-20141119 under Linux.

Symptoms: Set up to read the radio. Start the read, press the VFO
button, and the radio shows "CLONE TX" for about a second or two, then
CLONE FAIL. I've tried this with 2 cables - one that is just a Yaesu to
RS-232 cable (and then using a Prolific USB to RS232 adapter, and also
using a native 16550 based RS-232 port), and one that is a Yaesu to USB
using a Prolific cable. I have verified my user ID can read the serial
device, and have verified that the cable acts as a loop back cable using
Minicom.

I'd like some suggestions on what to try next to debug what is going on.
Are there any flags I can set to try to get more debug information? Does
anybody have a Yaesu VX5 radio image I can try to load, to see if