[chirp_users] IC-208H programming question -- having difficulty

Jim Unroe
Wed Nov 12 02:20:34 PST 2014

It is possible that the programming cable could be bad. But it is even
more likely (unless you are running Linux) that the installed driver
is the issue.

Which driver is installed? If you are running any recent version of MS
Windows (Vista, 7, 8), you must downgrade the automatically installed
driver to V3.2.0.0 so it will be compatible. Most Prolific style chips
are unauthorized copies and drovers newer then this are
(intentionally) incompatible.

The miklor.com website is a sourced for the needed driver and also has
instructions for installing it.

http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Drivers.php

There is a similar incompatibility with OSX requiring that a generic
driver to be installed.

A way to test the programming cable without having to deal with driver
issues is to use CHIRP Live CD. I can be "burned" to flash memory (a
USB thumb drive) instead of a CD or DVD. Then you can boot from the
flash memory completely bypassing the operating system installed on
the computer.

Jim KC9HI