[chirp_users] Need info on Motorola XTN XU2600 radio

Kevin Zembower
Sat May 3 07:17:35 PDT 2014

On 05/03/2014 07:40 AM, Jim Unroe wrote:
> Kevin,
>
> Assuming that 67.0 Hz is the CTCSS tone used by the Motorola radios,
> you have 2 choices for programming the BF-888S radios. But before we
> get started, you should click "View" in the CHIRP menu bar and then in
> the drop down menu, enable "Hide Unused Fields".
>
> Method 1:
>
> This method will transmit the 67.0 Hz CTCSS tone that is required to
> open the squelch on the Motorola radios. It leaves the BF-888S squelch
> as carrier operated. It won't matter if the transmitting station is
> using CTCSS or not.
>
> Tone Mode = Tone
> Tone = 67.0
> ToneSql = unused (88.5 or blank if "Hide Unused Fields" is enabled)

Jim, thank you so much. Your Method 1 worked like a champ, so I never
even tried Method 2.

> Be sure to let you son's principal (or better yet, the person that is
> responsible for the license that gives them the authority to transmit
> on the frequencies that you are programming) know that these radios
> aren't certified for part 90 use under the FCC rules. Their use for
> this purpose would not be permitted.
Thanks, also, for this warning. It never even occurred to me that
reprogramming these radios might be illegal. I'll pass this one. Do you
know of any pointers to documents on the Web that might be useful to
read concerning this issue?

Thanks, again, for your excellent help and advice. Have a good day.

-Kevin