[chirp_users] Another way Chirp can be tripped up by the OS

Niklas Johnson
Thu Mar 27 12:23:53 PDT 2014

I mean series PTT as similar to some radios (Motorola and ICOM) where the
PTT closes the mic circuit, rather than a separate PTT signal line. I've
never had any programming cable continually key the Baofeng radio's
transmit function, using any of those Baofeng-supplied cables, a genuine
Kenwood KPG-22U, or a DE9-2.5/3.5 homebrew cable I made in the past. Only
the momentary TX key when inserting or when not fully inserted. Looking at
the same link, there's a dual PTT function for the radios which may be a
culprit. Testing by setting A or B specially in CHIRP when writing might
show that the PTT is changing to the other displayed channel and
transmitting.

According to the cable schematic and your interpretation, its possible for
the cable to key the radio. I'm not disagreeing with that, nor that your
cable is indeed causing the PTT to key. I'm not familiar how the radio's
PTT circuit chooses to ignore serial data, but I'm only claiming I haven't
experienced the behavior even in an edge case with validation/programming
of large numbers of these.

An interesting side note is that one of the radios would phantom switch
from displayed channel A to B bacn and forth a few times when programming,
and also would indicate RX audio broke squelch when programming . This was
only with a certain Baofeng cable, not the KPG-22u nor any other specific
cable.

Best regards,

Niklas Johnson / Tech
Rugged Radios