[chirp_users] Another way Chirp can be tripped up by the OS

Stephen Hersey
Thu Mar 27 11:55:00 PDT 2014

Incorrect wiring? I'm afraid I find that a bit hard to believe. I've traced
the circuitry on the adapter, and have compared it to the reference at
http://www.miklor.com/UV_Technical.php and I've found the following:

1) The TX, RX, and ground lines are wired to the proper places on the twin
plug (data to radio on sleeve of 3.5 mm plug, data from radio on ring of
2.5 mm plug, ground on sleeve of 2.5 mm plug
2) No other plug connections are present.
3) The data out to the radio is through a common-emitter NPN to ground with
a 20K pullup to +5V. This last item might be questionable, as most other
circuits I've seen are either pulled up to 3.3V or are left open-collector.
Removing the pullup resistor didn't change the PTT keying behavior, BTW.

I'm not sure what you mean by "does not have a series PTT (its the sleeve
on the 3.5mm)"; as I understand the diagram at miklor, the PTT line is also
the serial data line into the radio. Can you clarify?

Thanks,
Steve

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 2:35 PM, Niklas Johnson <niklas at ruggedradios.com>wrote:

> The cables my company got from Baofeng directly when buying a few
> hundred private labelled UV-5Rs do not keep the radio keyed when inserted
> or reading/writing. It keys it momentarily when plugged in, but it should
> not when fully inserted. It does not have a series PTT (its the sleeve on
> the 3.5mm), so your cable is incorrectly wired. Additionally, the cables we
> purchased were counterfeit Prolific chip-based so they required the older
> 3.2.0 driver (sourced from Miklor).
>
> --Niklas
>

> On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 11:08 AM, Stephen Hersey <n1xnxham at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I've just started using Chirp with a Baofeng UV-5R and a USB serial
>> adapter that Amazon claims is from Baofeng. The adapter has a genuine
>> Prolific chip (or a darn good counterfeit), and Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
>> recognizes it as a serial port; in addition, I can connect TxD to RxD at
>> the radio plugs, open PuTTY, and see looped-back characters I have typed on
>> the console. So far, so great.
>>
>> However, neither Chirp nor baoclone could open the serial port the USB
>> adapter was assigned to: COM19. Hmmm, 19? Sounds way high for a serial port
>> enumeration. I reassigned the USB adapter to the vacant COM2, and hey
>> presto! Both utilities are able to talk to the radio.
>>
>> Sooo, beware of high-numbered COM ports.
>>
>> Incidentally, is it normal for the UV-5R to key up when the serial cable
>> is present? I'm going to make a practice of always having a dummy load
>> connected when programming this radio.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Steve
>>
>> --
>> Steve Hersey N1XNX
>> n1xnxham at gmail.com
>> -----
>> Each of us has strengths and talents that others don't. Whether innate or
>> learned, these are gifts -- and a gift not shared is a sad and lonely
>> thing. Using our gifts for the benefit of all is an ethical obligation for
>> every intelligent being. (The magic only works if you pass it on!)

Steve Hersey N1XNX