[chirp_users] Another way Chirp can be tripped up by the OS

Milton Hywatt
Thu Mar 27 12:19:15 PDT 2014

Aren't COM ports virtual? If so it wouldn't matter what the number was
as long as the software recognized ports equal to or higher than your port.
As far as the radio keying up when the plug is inserted, shut the radio off before
you insert the plug. If it does key up then there is a problem with the cable or plug.
I've never read of anyone having their radio key up after the plug was inserted.

Also unless you have 19 COM ports in use, any of them could be invalid. I think
previous devices remain in the registry after use and the port can be easily forced
to use over by your new device.

________________________________
 From: Stephen Hersey <n1xnxham at gmail.com>
To: chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2014 2:08 PM
Subject: [chirp_users] Another way Chirp can be tripped up by the OS

I've just started using Chirp with a Baofeng UV-5R and a USB serial adapter that Amazon claims is from Baofeng. The adapter has a genuine Prolific chip (or a darn good counterfeit), and Windows 7 Pro 64-bit recognizes it as a serial port; in addition, I can connect TxD to RxD at the radio plugs, open PuTTY, and see looped-back characters I have typed on the console. So far, so great.

However, neither Chirp nor baoclone could open the serial port the USB adapter was assigned to: COM19. Hmmm, 19? Sounds way high for a serial port enumeration. I reassigned the USB adapter to the vacant COM2, and hey presto! Both utilities are able to talk to the radio.

Sooo, beware of high-numbered COM ports.

Incidentally, is it normal for the UV-5R to key up when the serial cable is present? I'm going to make a practice of always having a dummy load connected when programming this radio.

Regards,
Steve

--
Steve Hersey N1XNX
n1xnxham at gmail.com
-----
Each of us has strengths and talents that others don't. Whether innate or learned, these are gifts -- and a gift not shared is a sad and lonely thing. Using our gifts for the benefit of all is an ethical obligation for every intelligent being. (The magic only works if you pass it on!)